Monday, April 12, 2010

Lawn Tractors (And The Cycle Of Life)

As I was driving to and from Indy, I noticed several lawn tractors being towed on trailors, and it set my mind to thinking about how I cannot live another minute with my current mower.  It is nearly impossible to start, and I always have to use jumper cables and really just hope for the best (it usually helps to beat on the engine block with a rubber mallet while turning it over, just to shake things loose).  To say that it needs a new battery and a tune-up is an understatement, and that is totally separate from the fact that I hate how it cuts, as it has no guide-wheels on the mowing deck and has a tendency to scalp the lawn on any incline or slope.  Point being, I've wanted a new one since the second season I owned this one, which is to say, for three years.  I looked at used mowers and realized that for what I wanted, a new one was not much more than used, and there is always the peace of mind (and three year warranty) that comes with buying new.  So I cleaned up the Home Depot special, took a photo, put an ad on Craig's List, and went out to do a couple things outside.  When I came back in I had just about forgotten I placed the ad, but I had several interested people already!  One guy wanted to come over right away, and that's what he did -- with a trailor, and cash (cha-ching).  So just like that, the old mower was gone!  Monday afternoon, after finishing my research, I picked out the Cub Cadet 1046 VT, and how very sweet it is...  two-cylider, 46" cut, electric PTO (blade engagement), mulching kit, 11 cutting heights, deck wash system, glove box, and a cup holder.  It's a dream come true, really, and worth the four year wait.

No comments: