Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fallasburg Park.


Back in the day there was a summer event called Reggae Sunsplash, and while I attended both years (I think it was just the summers of '91 & '92), all I really knew was that it was at some park "way out in the country somewhere".  Well it turns out that was Fallasburg Park, and in another little twist of fate, these days we happen to live "way out in the country somewhere" (sort of).  Since we moved here four years ago I've had it on my mind to visit this park and find the field where Sunsplash was held.  I always figured some nice Sunday afternoon I would take the convertible for a little drive up Alden Nash, find the park, and walk around.  Well that nice Sunday afternoon arrived today, and I took the boy as well.  It was a nice drive, and at first I didn't think I'd find the specific field (it's a really big park), but in the end I stumbled onto it sort of on accident -- which was total deja vu, since I stumbled onto it sort of on accident way back then too (but for different reasons, ahem).

I also found the covered bridge, which I thought was pretty cool.  I would not have even known to check this area out when I was here for the festival so long ago, but there is definitely some history here.

No comments: